Like most of the Dev’s I love using my Keyboard more than mouse. I am big vim fan and have been using vim for over 7-8 years. I still consider myself novice.
Here are the ways I manage to use keyboard over mouse
- Shortcat – Great app get rids of use mouse in OSX – This is a Paid App , which IMHO is the best investment for me. There is also a trial version.
- MacVim – I have been using MacVim as my primary text editor.
- cVim – Vim features within chrome. The best part is it allows custom vimrc.
- IntelliJ Vim Plugin – https://github.com/JetBrains/ideavim also allow vimrc
- Here is a plugin https://github.com/athiele/key-promoter-fork for IntelliJ – show hints when using the mouse for something which could be done with the keyboard.
- Spectacle – For window management in OSX with keyboard.
Remapped caps lock – ^ Control Key
Here is my vimrc https://github.com/naveensrinivasan/dotvim/blob/master/vimrc. One of the things I do is , set no-op for arrow keys makes me a better vim user. I have tried vim hard mode https://github.com/wikitopian/hardmode and have failed few times. That is something I want to enable to get rid of bad habits.
Still have to try Neovim. I especially like the neovim engine can be plugged into existing editor which is great.
And I have ordered myself Ultimate hacking Keyboard . The one of the reasons I am excited about this is ,you could use home row keys as mouse which would really replace mouse with this keyboard.